Tuesday, April 22, 2008

delayed gratification

I think I have found a doctor that can help me! A chiropractor and so much more...

In case you are in the minority and haven't heard my saga, I have torn a muscle in my shoulder (trapezius-ish) and have hit a wall in my recovery... my regular doctor initially thought I had a "trigger point" in my muscle and injected cortisone (x2 shots), which made me cry. My pain increased unbelievably and I had a big ol bubble at the injection site (which, actually, I learned today is still there). Evidently because my shoulder blew up after cortisone, that means there is a tear in the muscle tissue. Dr. Doc also told me not to run, play volleyball, drive, or anything else involving the usage of my right arm (and sometimes the use of my left). What does this leave in life?

It leaves me with a good time to find a new doctor. I am not giving up volleyball or running because of an injury, but I think we may be onto something...

A friend introduced me to Active Release Techniques & I found a Doc in Durham that performs this shit and am making an appointment in the morning. He evidently uses a combination of ART, Sound Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization therapy, and rehab excersises that will make me better.

I can see the light. I'm not there yet, but I sure hope giving up running and volleyball for now will pay off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! When you come back I will show you a few moves. ;)